You think you know, but you have no idea...

A blog about my experiences of life as a student teacher.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Summative assessment vs. Formative assessment

I've spent the evening working on my APD assignment. Maybe I'm over-analysing it, or reading too much into the task, but I have not felt so confused for a long time! The more I think about it, the more confused I get. I've tried mind-mapping, brainstorming, paragraph plans etc etc but I seem to be getting nowhere.

Anyway, the point of my post was really to consider how effective this form of assesment is with regard to our PGDE course. Why have we spent so long as potential teachers discussing the benefits of formative assessment in our classroom practice, for me to be sitting writing a summatively assessed essay? Perhaps thats why I'm struggling so much with it. As a learner, I feel so unsupported in this task with regard to what Im doing correctly and the areas I need to improve. I'm not going to go into it... I just thought it was an interesting point. And something which I will remember as a teacher.

2 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which APD are you doing?

It seems with these assignments that you don't have to read the questions - just the criteria.

This was certainly the case for assignment 2: the former contradicted the latter.

I'm not sure how we're supposed to get our research project down to 1,000 words AND come up with some sort of meaningful conclusion.

As for more formative assessment in the classroom, it's kinda hard when the SQA insists on so much summative assessment!

Again, we as teachers are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Ho hum..

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://soundcloud.com/user617591907/premium-rush-movie-2012 - Premium Rush movie stream, Premium Rush film downloads, Premium Rush Movie Movie Download For Psp 8=[[,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home