You think you know, but you have no idea...

A blog about my experiences of life as a student teacher.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Back to reality...

Im back!

After a long time with a lack of blogging action, I decided that I had to get back into this to help me get the most out of my 3rd and final placment!!! Where has the time gone?? And already we're into the second week!!

Anyway, all going well so far - although sampled my first experience of SQA deadline stress last week!! In the leadup to the exam on Thursday, the design and expressive folios had to be completed and for many pupils this was a last minute mad dash. Although I was shattered by Friday having stayed late every night, I learned so much about the presentation of work. I also learned that whenever I have a Higher class, they will be getting told the deadline is two weeks before it actually is so I dont have that mad panic!! (Aye aye! I say that now!!)

My timetable has changed slightly but I'm still with all of the classes I had before, as well as quite a few extra ones! Its great to be back with the same pupils again, but its also good meeting new ones! I've also experienced being displaced due to exams and this was a useful learning experience, understanding how much of an effect the art room environment has on pupils. I think I've raised my expectations of the pupils, and with all my classes I reiterated my expectations regarding behaviour and effort. I do feel however that I'm still having to be quite strict with the pupils, for lots of reasons and I sometimes wish there was more time to be me, and get to know the kids. I mentioned this to the teachers in the department, and although they said my rapport with the pupils was good, I still feel like I need to develop my relationships with the class.

We also had a department night out at the weekend which was well-deserved and most enjoyable. It was nice to go out with all the teachers socially, and I really felt so welcome and part of the department. Both of my placements have been so good... I hear horror stories from some of my friends and just know that my luck will have to change. I am desperate to hear where I'll be teaching next year... not long now.

Unitl next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home